Friday, August 21, 2009

I Wish I Hadn't Missed the Sock Summit


Here's a picture of my last project, completed just in time to give the socks as a gift to my daughter, Eleanor.

I just watched a video at the Oregonian newspaper's Web site, in which a crowd of 935 broke the world record for the number of people in one location, knitting. The previous record was 256. This record-breaking event occurred at the Sock Summit, in Portland, OR, earlier this month. I couldn't go, but I was amazed at the speed at which classes for the summit filled. The server broke down on the first day, in the first few hours of the registration period. So I've known, ever since two days after that, when I tried to register, that I would not be attending the summit. Next time, for sure.

Meanwhile, Afghans for Afghans is asking for baby blankets for their fall campaign. No smaller than 30 inches by 40 inches, and no longer or wider than 45 inches. No fringe, no light colors. Wool only. I may knit a blanket for this. It's just a matter of finding the right amount of wool in my stash. My hoardings are heavier on the acrylics, because I don't use them often, but I do have some wool, including some leftovers.

I'm still working on my socks for myself. I'm using a beautiful, variegated green yarn in washable wool. I also decided to extend this yarn, with some leftover light green yarn from an earlier project.

No comments:

Post a Comment