Saturday, November 27, 2010

Australia trip 4


November 20th. I snorkeled twice this morning, from Taka. I had thought I would do a “discovery dive” with an instructor, the second time. In the end, though, I snorkeled. I have seen LOTS of fish. Potato cod, trumpet fish, parrot fish, clown fish, red snapper, butterflyfish, shark, giant clam, nurse shark, bannerfish. I swam with Nick, then with Matt. At the end of the cod feed, Hiro brought the feed box up so the potato cod came nearly to surface, where I could see it. Yea! Now I am sunbathing. None of us should be sunbathing, of course. Bad for the skin.


Afternoon snorkeling was shorter, the Lighthouse Bommie, south of where we were in the morning. I saw a sea turtle! It was a hawksbill turtle. First I saw it gliding along the edge of the bommie. Then I cleared my goggles, and it was beginning to rise closer to me. I saw it surface a couple of times before swimming away from me. I practiced diving while snorkeling. I’m really bad at it, but it was fun. Snorkeling here while others scuba’d, was like playing in the bathtub instead of swimming.


I saw Nemo, 2 Nemos, early on, but then they disappeared. I saw a large school of narrow, silver-white fish with narrow orange stripes along the dorsal ridge (2 or 3). I saw another large school of yellowtail fusilliers, blue fish whose yellow tails resembled less-than or greater-than signs. After we were done at Lighthouse Bommie, the guests watched the crew put the dive ladders away. We saw a young hawksbill turtle and an olive sea snake surface next to our boat. Wahoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment