Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I feel good

Katharine wearing her purple hat, mittens and scarf that I made for her
Here is a picture of a three-year project: a scarf, a hat and a pair of mittens for my friend, Katharine. By making one part of the set each year, I was able to give each part as a separate gift. I call it "gift stretching." The mittens don't match the hat and scarf because they were made with different yarn. I had run out of the Lion Brand Homespun by then, so K. and I used this as an excuse to buy something really special for the mittens: purple alpaca with silver threads running through it.

Yesterday, the girls didn't go to school because of a snow day. We only had about an inch and half of snow, but it was enough for an itty-bitty snowman, several snow angels in the driveway, and some time with the snow shovel. Note to self: buy a new snow shovel.

I had meant to embark on a new plan of personal organization with the new year, starting when the girls returned to school. The world did not cooperate. P. got sick, E. got sick, there were appointments and houseguests, and now, snow days. But, happiness: when I tried to start the housekeeping part of my scheme, yesterday, when the girls were home, they helped me. E. swept. P. dusted. E. earned five dollars by washing twenty windows. The girls also helped me shovel the driveway. I emerged from this experience feeling really in love with my family.

I will only mention in passing the movie that the girls watched and the play that P. put on, with the help of E. I do need help around the house, and often, there is no help. Yesterday made me feel like I wasn't so alone. Brad will come home tonight. Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment